Interesting Facts About The Piano That You May Not Know
The piano is one of the most popular musical instrument and the most valued possession that one can have. Pianos were with us for over 500 hundred years ago, managing not only to profoundly influence our music drives and genres but also enable musical masters to produce some of the most memorable pieces of music that are now an integral part of our history and culture.
Facts regarding pianos are fascinating and numerous, with several of them being fully capable of surprising you and showing pianos in entirely different light. Here are unique and interesting facts about the piano that you may not know:
1. While a piano may appear like a simple instrument to operate, it has over 12,000 parts among them 10,000 are moving and was developed in 1698 by an Italian Bartolomeo Cristofori. Today there is still one of the first pianos at MET Museum in New York City. The great number of moving parts is one reason why tuning a piano can be such an intricating process.
2. Piano though a stringed instrument is usually counted as a part of the percussion family since it uses a hammer to hit the strings that make the noise you hear. It additionally has 88 keys, 36 of which are black keys and 52 white keys. It is recognized as a polyphonic instrument. “Polyphonic” suggests “producing multiple sounds simultaneously.” A piano is truly an extraordinary tool with several aspects that make it rather special.
3. World’s largest piano is known as Challen Concert Grand, it is 11 feet long, and it weighs more than one ton. The strings of one grand piano are so strong that they can withstand up to 30 tons.
4. There are only two primary types of piano, Grand, and Upright. Nearly all modern pianos have two to three pedals.
5. One uniqueness of the piano is that it is used to explain harmony to students, an area is identified as “keyboard harmony.” This is the learning of chords and their progression. Harmony is a basic part of music theory. It is comparative to knowing grammar to becoming skilled in English; it is the fundamental structure of music. To know it, one is taught harmony in music hypothesis, but since music is likewise an applied subject, it must be taught practically also. Since the piano have 88 keys, it makes it fit for this purpose.
6. Although it is mostly a solo instrument, the piano is deemed an ideal instrument for accompaniment. A pianist usually accompanies almost every classical and jazz singer and instrumentalist. In fact, the piano, by itself, can exchange an entire orchestra for a musician rehearsing a concert.
There is much to it as well. The pediatric study has even determined that learning piano at an early age helps improves motor skills, betters memory, enhances academics and even self-esteem. In adults, tests have revealed that pianists are far less likely to suffer from Alzheimer’s disease, carpal tunnel syndrome, and also arthritis.
Breathe life into your dream. It’s simple, go on and do it.
Try Willan’s music lessons to jumpstart your musical journey.
Getting Inspiration from the Greats
244 Madison Avenue Suite 171
New York, NY 10016